Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult -Review

Title: My Sister's Keeper
Author: Jodi Picoult
Page Number: 423
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now.
Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? (~via Jodi Picoult's website)

My Review: I've been dying to read this novel since I first saw the movie! I heard a lot of people who were fans of the novel were very disappointed with the movie version, but what fan base isn't at one point when a book they love is turned into a film. But, I understood their disappointment once I had finished the book and tried to watch the movie again. A lot of things were changed and I actually didn't like the ending.
Back to the book though! I thought it was absolutely amazing. The characters are well written and very realistic. Aside from the obvious problem they faced there were others as well and I thought it was portrayed very well. Not cheesey and unrealistic.
Picoult did a wonderful job with the writing. It was very poetic and unique. There was not a point while reading that I was bored, but I was very anxious to see how the outcome of the novel would be.
I really liked the alternating chapters. I really got to know the characters well and I enjoyed the backstories they had.
                  Overall, I really loved and enjoyed the novel and I recommend it to anyone!

My Rating: 5/5 -FAVORITE ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment