Saturday, July 30, 2011

The History of Love -Review

Title: The History of Love
Author: Nicole Krauss
Page Number: 252
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis:
    
Fourteen-year-old Alma Singer is trying to find a cure for her mother's loneliness. Believing that she might discover it in an old book her mother is lovingly translating, she sets out in search of its author.
Across New York an old man named Leo Gursky is trying to survive a little bit longer. He spends his days dreaming of the lost love who, sixty years ago in Poland, inspired him to write a book. And although he doesn't know it yet, that book also survived: crossing oceans and generations, and changing lives....
                                                             (~from back of book cover)

My Review: The beginning was a bit slow for me, and I was kind of confused because Krauss just dives right into the story. And I liked that but I was still somewhat confused.
I really liked the alternating chapters, I liked reading from the point of views of other characters.
I thought the book was really beautiful and filled with soul and love. It was very charasmatic and rich with great characters. The characters really grew on you and the story of "The History of Love" itself was very interesting and poetic. I really liked Alma & Leo so much. I couldn't help but love them.
The ending really surprised me and I couldn't help but tear up and say "WHAT?"
I will be re-reading it and I recommend it!

My Rating: 5/5 -Absolutely loved it. If I ever have a daughter I want to name her Alma :3 ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment