Monday, July 4, 2011

The Host by Stephanie Meyer -Review


Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Page Number: 619 (excluding bonus chapter)
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.
Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy that takes over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. But Wanderer, the invading “soul” who occupies Melanie’s body, finds its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.
As Melanie fills Wanderer’s thoughts with visisons of Jared, a human who has avoided invasion and lives hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she’s never met. Soon Wanderer and Melanie-reluctant allies-set off to search for the man they both love.
Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, The Host is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human. (~via Book Cover)

My Review: I was pretty hesitant about reading The Host since Meyer is the author of one of the most popular Sagas out there and I hadn't read Twilight at the time. I just didn't want to be disapointed because although I hadn't read Twilight, (only the first 4 pages, and didn't like it!) I had low expectations. But, a friend of mine recommended it to me and I was like "Why not?" She told me the first half was very boring, but I actually quite liked it. I wasn't bored at all. I was enjoying it a lot more than I imagined I would.

Wanderer is a very interesting and unique character. I really liked her and I was rooting for her the whole way. I wanted her to have the life she deserved. Melanie on the other had was very bossy, and infuriating. She was in her own ways, naive and weak. The rest of the characters were very well written and I fell inlove with Ian. Jared though, was much like Melanie, which is why I didn't like him a whole lot.

In the end, it took me two whole weeks to finish this book (the longest it was ever taken me to finish a book!) and I was very happy at the outcome. I enjoyed it very much. It's not for everyone, but I liked it. I wouldn't read it twice though. It's one of those, "one time only" kind of books. It's overly descriptive, which is my only problem.

Rating: 4/5 -Really Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment