Saturday, October 8, 2011

Zombies vs Unicorns -Review

Title: Zombies vs Unicorns
Author(s): Garth Nix, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Naomi Novik, Carrie Ryan, Margo Lanagan, Maureen Johnson, Diana Peterfreund, Scott Westerfeld, Meg Cabot, Cassandra Clare, Kathleen Duey, and Libba Bray
Page Number: 415
Genre: Anthology/YA
Synopsis: It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths—for good and evil—of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?

My Review: *Contains Some Spoilers!*
I'll be rating each story and then an overall rating for the whole book.
Okay, so let's start with the first story:
The Highest Justice by Garth Nix - I was a bit confused as to what was happening in the beginning but as the story progressed I began to understand it better. I think it was the shortest out of all the stories, and it was mediocre. Nothing too compelling about it, the family drama was a little interesting but it wasn't the best in the bunch. With that being said I give it a 2/5- It was okay.

Love Will Tear Us Apart by Alaya Dawn Johnson - It think this was one of the most interesting zombie stories. The zombie in this story is fairly normal aside from the fact that he's gay, and loves to eat human brains. And with those two combinations a great and unique story came out of it. I loved the main character and love story aspect. It was very refreshing after reading the first story. 4/5- I really enjoyed it.

Purity Test by Naomi Novik - This unicorn story was pretty humorous. I don't know if the author was purposely making fun of unicorns but none the less it was silly and cute. And it was fairly good. 3/5

Bougainvillea by Carrie Ryan - This was the first of anything that I've read by Carrie Ryan and I'm definitely going to pick up The Forest of Hands and Teeth soon because I loved this story and the writing. The writig was beautiful and creepy. The story is very interesting, has a good little twist at the end and I was wishing it was a whole book because I wanted more! This is one of the, if not my favorite story in the whole book. 5/5 - I couldn't get enough!

A Thousand Flowers by Margo Lanagan - I'm going to start off by saying I seriously had no idea what I was reading about until the very end. I think the story was just everywhere. The writings unique but I just had no idea where the story was heading or what was really going on. Until the last few pages and I was a little weirded out. But it was interesting, just not for me. 1/5 - I didn't like it at all.

The Children of the Revolution by Maureen Johnson - I really enjoyed this story. I thought it was very eerie and interesting and it kept me on the end of my seat. The writing was very good and I think the ending was one of the best endings in the whole book, and flowed the best. I really wanted to read more but I think if it ended any other way I'd probably be going crazy, not that I wasn't already by the end of it. It was just really good and it's one of my favorites. 5/5 -Loved it!

The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn by Diana Peterfreund - Let me start off by saying that I've been dying to read Rampant by Diana and this story just made me die with excitement to read it now! This was my favorite unicorn story. It's definitely very unique and I've never read anything like it. It's set in the same world as Rampant, which I loved because, I'm now a little familiar with it.
I'm going to admit this was probably the one I was most excited about reading, and I was definitely happy with the ending, although I wanted so much more. Although this is a short story, this is a MUST READ, don't let the title throw you off a bit because it's  ridiculous, it won't disappoint and if it does, I'll make my Killer Unicorn get to you! 5/5- Absolutey adored it.

Inoculata by Scott Westerfeld -This is the first of anything I've read by Scott and I really enjoyed it. It was kinda weird, but I like weird. I really want to read anything by him now. I'm not going to lie though, I've read a lot of amazing things about Scott so I was expecting AMAZING, I didn't get it, but it was pretty close. 3/5

Princess Prettypants by Meg Cabot - I really liked this story. It's the first time I've read anything by Meg, and I really wasn't expecting something this good, seeing as she wrote the Princess Diaries, the movie was good but I could never read someting like that. SO, that being said I praise Meg, and I will be looking into her books now. 4/5- I really liked it!

Cold Hands by Cassandra Clare - Some of you Mortal Instrument lovers are going to hate me for saying this, but I loved this story so so so much more than MI. It was so good and I have to say she's a lot better at writing first person than third and she should stick to that. I loved Cold Hands and I wish it was a whole book, because I wanted more. 5/5- MORE PLEASE!

The Third Virgin by Kathleen Duey -Very interesting story. I actually really liked the whole suicidal unicorn thing. The writing was very good. I liked the whole concept and the ending was good. 3/5

Prom Night by Libba Bray- You know, I've heard a lot of great things about Libba and this story, so I was expecting a lot. And I didn't get it. It was probably my least favorite out of all the zombie stories and it was a pretty disappointing ending. Good concept but just not as exciting as I was hoping it was going to be. 3/5


Overall, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which team I'm on......ZOMBIE! I've been team zombie since I read Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel this past summer, my first zombie book. I have yet to read a full unicorn book, but I'm dying to read Rampant by Diana Peterfreund. And I feel like I'll be picking up a lot of books by some of these authors. I really liked the whole book, I wish there were more stories, I wanted more! But, all in all, it was great.

My Overall Rating: 5/5-LOVED LOVED IT.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I like how you reviewed and rated each story individually. I've been meaning to pick this up. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And you definitely should :)

    ReplyDelete