Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Pact - Review

Title: The Pact: A Love Story
Author: Jodi Picoult
Page Number: 389
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: For eighteen years the Hartes and the Golds have lived next door to each other, sharing everything from Chinese food to chicken pox to carpool duty-- they've grown so close it seems they have always been a part of each other's lives. Parents and children alike have been best friends, so it's no surprise that in high school Chris and Emily's friendship blossoms into something more. They've been soul mates since they were born.

So when midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the appalling truth: Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. There's a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris took from his father's cabinet-- a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris has described.


My Review: This was the first book by Picoult that I was dying to read. I think the plot was so interesting and it caught my attention so fast, that I just had to get my hands on it. I didn't until this summer. The first book I read by her though was My Sister's Keeper, and that was the book the pretty much changed my career outlook. And I also knew that Picoult was an amazing writing so nothing else by her could be disappointing. And I was right.
I loved The Pact. At first I was a little hestitant only because the pacing was a bit slow and I was a tad confused but then it got better and gradually I couldn't put it down.
I liked everything about it. The drama, the history, the family, the love. It was beautiful. It really was.
I loved the love Chris had for Emily. It was so poetic and full of every emotion possible. It was love.
That being said my problem was with Emily. I feel like she was very selfish. She knew Chris would do anything for her and she took advantage of that and some.
I'll have to say though the ending did it justice and I loved it.

My Rating: 5/5 -loved it ♥

2 comments:

  1. This is probably one of my favorite books ever. It was the first Jodi Picoult book I picked up when it first came out and then I fell in love with anything Jodi wrote. Glad you liked it!

    Jade @ Chasing Empty Pavements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great novel. The characters grab you and you love them all. She makes it hard to decide what you would do in the same situation. That's what I love about Jodi's books. They make you look at all sides and make you rethink how you feel.

    ReplyDelete