Sunday, August 21, 2011

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck -Review

Title: Tiger's Curse (Tiger Saga #1)
Author: Colleen Houck
Page Number: 406
Genre: YA
Synopsis: Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing 17-year old Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.


My Review:  *contains minor spoilers!
Seeing as how long it took me so long to finish reading this (about two weeks!) , it's obvious I didn't like it. So, this whole review will be jubbled up and full of ranting and whatnot, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, let's start from the beginning.

I think the prologue was very well written and I think if it started any other way I would have put it down from the very first page. Houck has a better ability at writing in 3rd person then first.

So, right away I can tell Kelsey is an unrealistic, naive and immature character. I personally don't know any 17, 18 year old who acts like her. (myself being 17 almost 18) She seems like a 10 year old who has been through a rough patch in life. I see her as a heroine and then not. She's very selfless, a little too selfless and from the very first joke she said, I knew I wasn't going to like her because it just seemed like Houck was trying too hard to find her inner teen. And the character of Kelsey just didn't working out for me. I didn't like her at all.

From the synopsis its self it's pretty easy to figure out what's going to happen from beginning, middle and end. It was all too predictable. I think it would have all worked out if the writing was better.

 When Kelsey was asked to go to Indian, and from a stranger, I think she agreed way too soon, personally my parents would need about 6 months to 1 year notice and then another year to think about it! All in all, the whole book, except for the Indian mythology, was very very unrealistic.

That being said, I loved the mythology. It was one of the reasons I kept reading. It was very interesting and I liked reading about it.

What I didn't like was the fact that Ren fell in love with Kelsey so soon, he barely knew her and she doesn't seem very likable. Same goes for Kishan. I guess they were stuck being Tigers for too long.
Though I did like both of them because I could just picture how gorgeous and beautiful they both are. (in human form, but I suppose animal form also!)

Ugh, I don't know. I just didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I was going to. I read all these great reviews about it but when it came down to it, I wasn't happy. I have to admit though that I was starting to think I was liking the book towards the end, but then I realized I only did because it was ending.

I don't know if I will read the 2nd or 3rd or 4th, or just finish the series. If I do, I'll be borrowing it from a friend or library because I feel like I wasted $17 with the first.

IS IT JUST ME OR DOES THE BOOK FEEL RATHER FREAKING HEAVY? I DIDN'T LIKE THAT, RECYCLE HOUCK!

Overall it was alright, not the best.

My Rating: 2/5 -It was O.K. Bit disappointing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment